Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Beer Daze: Kona Castaway

Last night my roommate and I went out to our favorite local dive bar; we order a massive amount of food and two drinks and roll our stuffed bellies home. This time we each tried to be a bit more adventurous with our beer (we typically just drink bud light lime), my roommate got the Blue Moon and I tried the Kona Castaway. I've had the Kona Longboard but found I didn't mix well with other beers, it's very citrus-y and has a strong flavor. The Castaway I'm would assume was similar. The beer has a fruity smell, kind of like apple juice, and it's not heavy in the slightest, which is good because beer bloat is the absolute fastest way to spoil not only a night out but my self esteem too. 

I was able to eat a plate of fries and hot wings without the apple-y taste of the beer masking the taste of the food, and vise versa. The odd thing about the flavor of the beer though is that even though it smells of apples its flavor isn't that of a cider. It's not an apple juice beer, it just smells entirely like it. 
I'm excited to get to try more of the Kona beers and addition to others. I have a World of Beer loyalty card, which I recommend absolutely everyone get, so I'm hopping to get to go back there sometime soon.

No comments :

Post a Comment